Voting

Monday, May 16, 2011

A Lamp Redo

I had such a fun weekend with my family!  We went "thrifting" on Saturday and found some really cheap  but perfect items for repurposing or refinishing.  I can't wait to see how it all turns out!  Last week I got a boring circa 1970's brass lamp that I was determined to update and hope to sell in my Etsy shop.  Here it is I would love to hear from about what you think! I also am putting up some other pictures to show you how I got from A - Z.

Before

After



  Here was my process - 

I spray painted the lamp a chocolate brown (what mess in the background??  What are you talking about??) :)



Then I took joint compound and painted it on with a paintbrush.




I sanded out the rough edges and put a coat of cream colored paint on and then distressed it with a fine grit sandpaper.  I really love the texture that it gives, you can see it in this picture pretty well.  It looks like an aged piece of pottery.  


I recovered the lamp shade in burlap and ruffles and.............finished!  It is actually bigger than it looks. It measures 31 inches tall and 17 inches at the widest part of the shade.  



I am pretty happy with it.  Let me know what you think!  



2 comments:

  1. You are crazy talented...I want to be like you when I grow up! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Tell me why did you use joint compound first?

    ReplyDelete